Welcome Thread ... say hello!

Amazing :grinning::grinning:

Hello there!

I’m a newish and very enthusiastic Linux user who came across this project on the Lunduke Show. I also work as a programmer in Japan. I’m very intrigued by Redox, as I’m the type who likes to redesign things from the ground up in a simpler way. I’m not a fan of some of the directions certain projects in Linux are heading (Wayland, for instance), so I want to learn more so that I can eventually become involved in the direction and development of the systems that I use.

I’m not a Rust programmer (yet), but this project intrigues me as something I want to follow and possibly contribute to when I have the time.

Also: huge props for having a forum! I love forums and the communities they build. On a whim, I decided to look up redox again, saw that you had a website and a forum, and here I am :slight_smile:

Hello, I’m SamuraiCrow.

I’ve been involved with the Commodore Amiga computers since one year before the company went bust in 1994. I’m interested in getting a parallel processing kernel and drivers for the AROS hosted OS. AROS is source code compatible with AmigaOS 3.1 and some of it’s offshoot libraries and is unique in the way that it can run hosted as an app on top of another kernel. AROS was originally developed on top of Linux so getting a bunch of old Amiga software to run on RedoxOS would be really neat! The faults of AmigaOS are that it is written using a single-threaded multitasking microkernel with no memory protection on top of custom graphics chips in the era when GPUs didn’t exist if your company didn’t make its own as Commodore did.

What I’d like to see first in Redox would be the ability to use ARM Linux’s binary blob drivers for OpenGL-ES so that my RasPi2 and ODroid XU4 can run at full speed for a change. On Linux, most programs still rely on the single-threaded performance of one core so the RasPi2 and ODroid ARM-based computers don’t really stand a chance at performing well.

Finally, getting to the point, I have worked with an Amiga-derived SoC called the Vampire whose Apollo 68080 softcore, when complete, will be fully 64-bit and have about 48 registers (32 of which are general purpose). It’s backward compatible to running AmigaOS 3.x and may someday run AROS but there will be no point in making a multicore ASIC someday if the OS it runs is 32-bit single-threaded. An odd thing about the 68080 is its MMU architecture. It’s got 2 MMU-style units per core: a regular MMU with a huge 256k page size to keep page tables small, and a memory protection unit (MPU) with byte-level granularity for memory protection purposes (obviously). Someday I’d like to see a modern new Amiga since the original ones got shafted by poor management in the early 90’s.

It’ll be a while before I can contribute since I don’t know Rust yet but I have it installed on my Linux boxes now and will hopefully have some time to pick it up in the next few months.

Hope I haven’t bored you too much with my Amiga stories of yesteryear!

Hello, I’m Eragonfr, I’m french and I’have a bad english. But I like the Redox project.

Hello; I’m Jason and I’ve been very excited about Rust after first learning about it a couple of years ago (memory safety FTW).

I, probably like most people here, have wondered what it would be to write an operating system from scratch in Rust. There have been quite a few projects that have popped up, but I’m glad to see this one has continued to move along at a good clip.

I’ve made some incredibly minimal contributions to ion, but it’s been quite a while since then.

I’ve started exploring the project again after seeing a Reddit post mentioning Redox running on baremetal on recent Thinkpads.

I’d like to get involved with some filesystem development (I focus on block storage in my day job).

I’m excited to see where things go.