Welcome Thread ... say hello!

Maybe a place for everyone who wanna say hello and to keep things clean.

So maybe i start first:

Hi, i am Dustin and following this project for quite some time. The pace Redox is evolving is somewhat “intimidating”. I always wanted to somehow participate but the lack of time (maybe a few hours every 2-3 weeks) and the lack of professional OS programming knowledge is saving you guys from me :wink:

Every time i tried to look at the code etc. so much changed i can’t nearly hold that immense pace! Every now and then i compiled and run redox, it is amazing how much better it gets.

I’m a software developer from Berlin, Germany, writing server backends, desktop stuff (Qt) and lately Android apps. In my spare time i challenge myself with OpenGL and some kind of my own game-engine. I have not so much time to get my hands dirty with rust but i love everything i’ve seen so far. Would love to port my stuff to rust. Maybe Redox could be an opportunity for me to write some Redox Userland code.

I love to see where this project is heading, maybe i find a place to participate in the future :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hi There!

I’m Dzmitry, a graphics programmer from Toronto. No real OS programming knowledge, just a bit of ARM drivers here and there, but would like to get my hands on your architecture and see if I can apply my skills to improve it. Very excited to see Redox development, agreeing with @pythoneer on the intimidation factor :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Hello there!

I’m Adam, a Senior Middleware Consultant at Red Hat, Inc. I mostly do Java development with various middleware components like JBoss Wildfly/EAP, Business Process and Rules software, etc…

In my spare time I use Rust for a number of small projects and hope to contribute to Redox more.

Disclaimer: Though I work for Red Hat, my involvement in Redox is purely for personal interest. My views and actions should not be construed as those of Red Hat, Inc, etc, etc…

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Rust has inspired me to learn to code (which I haven’t achieved yet, but I’m working on it). I assume Redox will be great, and so I’m keeping an eye on it!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I am Skyler Berg. I work at DocuSign on application security. My main role in Redox is developing and maintaining the shell. Anyone who is interested in shells is encouraged to contribute!

Shell repo: https://github.com/redox-os/ion

2 Likes

Hi there!

I’m really new to OS programming, but I like the idea behind Redox. I am currently studying and working (in a Rust project, actually) but once I finish my master’s degree this summer I’m willing to contribute to Redox!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Enrico!

I’m neither a computer scientist nor a professional programmer, but I write some Rust lines once in a while as a hobby. My contribution to Redox, till now, has been RUSThello, a simple reversi game written in Rust. I’ll try to maintain and possibly improve that.

2 Likes

My name is Michael Murphy, I am currently based in Northern Virginia where I just moved in December in hopes of finding a job, and I have been contributing to Redox since Week 12, primarily focusing on the Ion Shell and dabbling a bit with improving and implementing missing utilities in coreutils. I’ve been unemployed since I completed college with an IT degree four years ago, but I have been using all of my time since then mastering Linux. After mastering all that I could learn about Linux, I decided that it was time to expand my skill set into programming on Linux, and here I am today with programming with Rust.

Although I have no professional experience as a programmer, I do have experience with re-implementing a large amount of GNU Core Utilities in the Go programming language, where my first experience in programming was re-implementing the entirety of the ls command, which allowed me to learn quite a lot about how ls works and how I could write it better in the future. I have also dabbled with writing GTK3 applications in Rust and have some experience with the select and hyper crates for web scraping. I’ve written a simple systemd GUI service manager in Rust with GTK3 as well as a little Google Translate GTK3 application, and that’s about it.

Getting started in programming, I was daunted by the sheer amount of bad documentation and tools for C and C++, and was conflicted by the many flaws outlined in all the popular languages of today. There had to be something better. I then discovered Go which held me over in guiding me into my first programming experiences, and served as my favorite language until Rust was finally stable enough with better documentation and a painless process in debugging – the alpha and beta debugging messages were quite cryptic. Through my experiences with Go, D and Rust – especially Rust, I was able to quickly pick up C programming in an hour, but there is very little reason in writing C when you have Rust so I’m more confident in my Rust programming skills than my C programming skills.

I’m mostly here to continue to hone my skills and gain experience as a programmer, but to also aid in the creation of interesting things with my programming language of choice. I would imagine that if I had a job, I might not be able to invest as much time into Rust as I would like, so it’s better that I try to program as much as I can in as little time as possible. I see experience in Rust as something that will be absolutely critical for the next generation of programmers, so it’s probably better to hop onto the Rust bandwagon sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Doug (PaloDeQueso). I’m a full-stack developer by trade, and a long time open source software lover/user. I love using Linux but I see the monolithic kernel as an unrealistic approach to computing for everyone. I like that Redox has a Micro Kernel, and puts drivers in user land. I tinkered with Rust quite a bit after years of working on various hobby graphics projects in C++ with OpenGL. Once I started digging deeply into task based programming with many threads using Intel TBB, I learned first hand, just how dangerous that world can be if you’re not extremely careful. Once I found Rust, I realized that once the tools and basic libraries are in place, it is probably going to take off for development of traditionally complex applications, such as game engines and the like. That’s why I love the idea of using it as the basis for an OS. Safety first!

2 Likes

HI, I’m Nick. I live Salt Lake City Utah. I work for a research group (SCI) at The University of Utah were I am Assistant Director, Information Technology (whatever that means…) I have a background in Java Development but have not written real code in over 10 years. Mainly these days I do system architecture and management for HPC and GP-GPU clusters and large shared memory systems. I want to get back in to code and just finished reading the book “the design and implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System” which really got me thinking about low level code.

2 Likes

Hey i’m anth1y,
I love what you all are doing here, I’m a sysadmin who just started dabbling in rust (currently working my way through the rust book) and I loves to learn new operating systems. how can i contribute?

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Stephen.

I tried contributing in the past but had trouble (along with the fact that the project is intimidating).
I want to try to help contribute again, hence the post.

I recently graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science, and I prefer programming in C++.

1 Like

Hey there, everyone! I’m Ticki.

I have been a contributor since the early days of Redox, and I maintain the utilities (extrautils, binutils, and coreutils), Sodium, the book, games-for-redox, the website, magnet (the package manager), zfs, and a bunch of other stuff.

I’ve been programming in Rust for some time now, and it is by far my favorite programming language.

2 Likes

Hey, @anth1y. You should check out the contributor guide and the book.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve been pondering on the issue of operating systems and security for a long time. I am particularly delighted to see an effort creating a micro kernel based on a ‘higher’ language, such as Rust. Looking forward following your discussions … may be posting some notes on some interesting issues.

1 Like

Hi there!
Jack, SysAdmin from Sweden. My knowledge of building OS’es is reading a few articles on Wikipedia, so i can’t really contribute but i think this project is really cool.
Mostly wanted to post to show my support and tell you that i will be spreading the word about your project (probably the best i can do to contribute).
Looking forward to following the project!

2 Likes

@Jack_white you don’t need to know OS dev to contribute to Redox :smile:. Redox is not only the kernel, there is also the ecosystem that surrounds the kernel. If you want to help, you can for example contribute to the shell, make some command line utilities, create GUI programs or even make games

2 Likes

Hello, I’m a rust fan, and I think this project is really interesting. However, I’m puzzled by the Redox logo. Why does it represent a sodium atom ? Is it because sodium is a strong reducing agent ?

1 Like

Great question. I designed it and the choice of a sodium atom is not an arbitrary decision:

Redox is a chemical reaction (reduction-oxidation), creating Rust. Sodium makes a excellent reducer due to being an electropositive elemental.

4 Likes