How to resize filesystem?

This is a dumb question, I am sure. I downloaded the .bin and after running pkg install git, I was out of file space. I can resize the image using qemu-img, but redox appears to be stuck at 256mb. Any idea how I can enlarge it?

Have you managed to get anywhere in the meantime? The forum is a little quiet but hopefully somebody will be able to respond in due course. I have yet to actually run the system and my experience of QEMU is only in running Haiku, where you could use the system installer to put it on a virtual drive whose size was whatever you wanted to give it.

I gave up. Possibly a disk management utility is available in the packages … Something for someone else to try.

After reading the redox-os book, it looks like you can edit a configuration file to specify the packages you want before building the image. I’m going to try that next time.

I am still not succeeding at getting the system to boot inside QEMU. I guess you are ahead of me and booting okay and that your question relates to installing Git on Redox itself.

I personally don’t feel ready to try compiling it from source. The rapid development taking place on an immature system means the next image should be a great leap forward and if I have no luck soon I will wait for that, although I don’t expect that there will be a proper installer for quite some time yet!

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Yes, redox-os booted inside qemu just fine for me. I then installed git inside redox-os using the included package manager. I wanted to do more but git had consumed all the available space on the image.

What steps have you taken to boot redox inside qemu?

So far all I do is I have downloaded the HDD image of v 0.5, and started QEMU from the command line with the command cut and pasted from the Redox Book. It seems to load the kernel with a load of checksums or something appearing on screen, then asks for display size. After that it goes to a plain screen which reads:

Init FPU
Init SSE
Setup Arch

And then stops there. I think ‘Arch’ is an abbreviation of ‘architecture’ in QEMU-speak, but the command already specified an x86 processor with 64 bit, native to what I am running on.