General questions

Haiku OS vs Redox, which one is better (Haiku is a new OS being developed as well).

Why does Redox chose to use Rust over C++?

0 Likes

Rust provides a lot more checks at compile time than C++ does. It’s possible with linters, sure, but having it straight up built-in to the compiler is awesome.
Rust also automatically drops all allocated memory, which is really nice. It also makes copying large structures explicit, so it could actually be faster than C++ because you have to think more.
(Also, in my opinion Rust is a lot better designed than C++ in general)

1 Like

Im biased, and think Redox is better for several reasons, although I will let the developers answer this as they will be able to more accurately then I can.

As for using Rust over C++, Rust is a MUCH safer language in terms of race conditions, overflows, null reference exceptions, etc…

For a great explaination, I encourage you to listen to The Changelog podcast. Goes in-depth about the design decisions. https://changelog.com/podcast/280

Also, read the section on “Why Rust” in the book.

1 Like

Oh ok makes sense. Personally I am not a huge fan of their syntax compared to C++, for example their for loops are so weird as fuck.

0 Likes

Oh ok, so is it based on Unix, is Unix closed source? Does Unix use GPL license?

0 Likes

IMO, Rust is one of those languages that seem complicated and weird, but when it all clicks, it is a beautiful language that saves your life constantly.

0 Likes

Oh ok nice :), out of curiosity, is Rust more low level compared to C++?

What license does Unix use?

0 Likes

Unix was the original operating system created by Bell Labs (Owned by AT&T), in the 70s. It was propriety which is why Richard created gnu. Which gnu means “Gnu not Unix” as an open source alternative. Which in turn Linux was created to be a Unix like kernel that adopted the gnu userland. According to the BSD guys there not a clone, but an open-source derivative of AT&T Unix. (https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/explaining-bsd/what-a-real-unix.html)

1 Like

And is Redox OS based on Unix?

0 Likes

It’s based of concepts of Unix.

0 Likes

Oh ok nice, I am glad it is not Unix otherwise it is not Open Source.

0 Likes

Do you know in any way how Redox could potentially be faster than Haiku?

0 Likes