Troubles getting GCC working

Hey Folks,
I have been playing with Redox for a couple of days, and I have been trying to get it to compile with some of the extra recipes available. I have been trying to get GCC and binutils running, and GCC has compiled and seems to be working (as much as it can without ld and as). Binutils on the other hand is causing some grief, it compiles but it doesn’t seem to be present in the redox build.

I have been integrating programs by adding packages to the config/desktop.toml as the book describes. This has worked with the other recipes, but for some reason, it’s not working with binutils, I wanted to check here before opening an issue to see if I was doing something silly?

I feel like it might be something going wrong with the path, but I’m not sure. If anyone has any ideas or something I did wrong let me know. If this seems isolated I will try to do some debugging and open an issue request.

– JM

----- EDIT -----
binutils are good and installed. I didn’t realize the binutils being pushed was separate from GNU binutils, so I indeed was being silly. This does beg the question, where is as? if GCC is installed as should as well right?

You would think as would be included. Maybe its a config option Jermey has. Now that redox has a running Rustc and Cargo (Albeit not as smooth as one would like). After we get Jermey saying he built Redox on Redox, I think the move would be towards the Nix package manager. (Cross-compiling to Redox using Nix - Redox - Your Next(Gen) OS)

This fourm is barly checked. I would go to their Matter Most site if you’re interested in contributing. Otherwise you’re more likey to get a response on the redox reddit.

https://chat.redox-os.org/login
From their Community page: “The quickest and most open way to communicate with the Redox team is on our chat server. Currently, you can only get an invite by sending an email request to info@redox-os.org, which might take a little while, since it’s not automated. Simply say you’d like to join the chat. We’re working on an better way to do this, but this is the best way right now.”

Thanks for the response,
I’ll head over to the Reddit. I sent an email request to join the mattermost a few days ago but haven’t heard anything yet.

I’ll poke around with configs more or try getting the gnu Binutils to run on redox (if it hasn’t already been done?). My partner is leaving for a few weeks so perhaps it would be worth getting a rust-based x86 assembler running in redox? (I know NASM is running) idk.

anyway thanks for the response, it’s too bad there isn’t much more activity on this forum.

1 Like