My list of suggestions so Redox OS can catch more attention

1. Put efforts in the Desktop Environment GUI and tools.
    The best way to attract eye and geeks is to have a pleasant and complete desktop environment. The most popular Linux distros are the ones featuring the best DEs.
    The trend for GUIs nowadays is simple material design and hi-dpi graphics. This should be one of the main focus.

2. Keep the maximum of consistency through the OS.
    Many open source OS/DEs have a lot a little tools called with funny unique names and different workflows and interfaces: this is one the problems of open source. The new and not new user just wants a clean system with tools being named what the do, not dev egos making the experience heterogeneous.
    A tool for screenshot should be call screenshot, a terminal should be called terminal, and so on (see Deepin Linux DE for that). All the fonts, menus, icons, workflows have to be consistent as well to give a feeling of cohesion and quality.

3. A nice website.
    Most of people will first check at the offical website to see if the project is worth going further.
    If the website is mehh, basic and not giving a polished feeling, more than half will leave without any interest.
    That’s basic but true.

4. Attract the Linux people with techs Linux struggles with.
    Wayland + Vulkan are example of those tech Linux users really want but that take their time to land in the distros and apps, Redox should focus of getting those straight, to attract the type of dev/geek that wants to check at the latest toys.

5. Make the system very easy to try.
    The best way of having people try something is by having the try process as easy as possible.
    That means premade virtualbox, vmware images files ready to download by example.
    That means download links very visible.
    Obvious tutorials and complete documentations (with pictures) are also a key

6. Target the Raspberry Pi community
    They are the best at playing with new tech, and Aarch64 seems to have a bright future, A Pi version would be a good first step in this game.

7. Make an easy software installation process for users.
    Many of my friend gave up on using Linux because of the pain it is to install proprietary softwares on their distros unlike Mac and windows.
    A unified system similar to what MacOS does would make the Redox super friendly to a bigger part of people.

Thanks for the amazing job on this project

most of last year was working on relibc to make it easier to port c programs over. I completely agree that the gui should get more development, but not at the cost of the under the hood system.
For example rustc still hasn’t been ported. Meaning the system isn’t self hosting yet.

As for wayland and vulkan I would love to get those over, though even if we can compile them we still have the graphics card drivers to deal with.

As for the raspberry pi there is already an active on going porting effort to arm. About a month ago I seen a video of a guy from arm talking about porting redox in his spare time. For me this is a must, for the success of the project. That way people can easily mess around with it

2 Likes