Welcome Thread ... say hello!

Hello everyone! My name is Jared Manning, and I’m ready for the future! Although my programming skills are certainly lacking, I’m excited to learn Rust and contribute to this absolutely fascinating project!

Here’s the short and sweet version of my experience with operating systems.

• Started using the computer at the age of 2. Windows 3.1 was great… right?
  • Discovered GNU/Linux in my junior year of high school. Ubuntu was great… right??
  • Rode the path to Gentoo by the end of my senior year of high school. Got it running but didn’t know what came next.
  • Goofed off in college and put computers on the back burner while working minimum wage.
  • Moved to the southern U.S. and rekindled the flame for operating systems in the awful southern heat.
  • Witnessed Debian and its community collapse as it adopted systemd.
  • Enjoyed Funtoo for a bit, but realized that having an option to deter/delete all things systemd was a treatment of the symptoms, not a solution for the underlying problemd.
  • Realized FreeBSD was everything I ever wanted in an operating system and much more. ZFS, DTrace, and Jails sounded really cool, but realized there was much to learn.
  • Learned about software licenses and anti-capitalism.
  • Ignited and illuminated my passion for operating systems after watching hours of Bryan Cantrill’s speeches and interviews.
  • Started back at community college, understood the importance of education (it just kinda clicked, ya know?), and became a lover of knowledge.

So, I have landed here after many months of searching for my niche in the realm of programming and operating systems. I knew from the instant I learned about Rust that it was the future of programming and operating system development, and I hope to make great contributions to the Rust language, Redox, and to the open-source community in general. As for my immediate future, I’m going to finish up classes at the community college this fall and once again start the search for a university (I’m very keen on The University of Utah or the University of Illinois). I invite everyone that would like to get in touch with me to send me a message on here and just say hey! Thanks everyone!!

1 Like

I think this topic has diminishing returns as the forum grows. If you haven’t already, click on your avatar next to the hamburger menu (top right), click the gear, and update your “about me”. Now anyone can find out a little bit about who you are just by clicking on your avatar in a post. For bonus points, include how you want to participate in this community so that when others read your “about me” they learn of collaboration opportunities.

1 Like

Hi my name is Gerard and I’m from Spain. I’m an electronics engineer specialized in Microelectronics. Currently I’m a PhD student at the University of Barcelona.

I have an strong interest in Operating Systems and programming, although that’s not my field of expertise. I’ll be watching this interesting project since I’m quite agree with many of it’s design choices. By the way, I do not know Rust, my main experience in programming is bare metal C and assembly on microcontrolers and ANSI C in Linux (as well as toying with FORTH, python etc), so I don’t think i’ll be of much help but if I can help in any way and it is in within my posibilities, I’ll be glad to do so.

Hello. I’m Deavmi. A computer programmer student. Came accross this operating system and thought about how nice and simple it is with that sexy Orbital desktop environment. I think I could really use this for developing software as it makes workflow so much more simpler.

What features do you see benefiting you the most? How close do you think Redox is to allowing you to spend a majority of development time in Redox?

2 Likes

The fact it is minimalist. #DistractionFree

Hello everyone, my name is Nikola and I’m software developer and student in Secondary School of Electrical Engineering in Serbia. I have experience with system programming and C, C++ and Assembly and I’m interested in learning Rust and contributing to this project :slight_smile:

Hi,
i am human who lived in south korea,
want to use redox in real life.
currently running alpinelinux.
interested in open source hardware like riscv, opensparc, etc.
(NO amd, intel, big company cpu).

keep up good work!
thank you.

1 Like

Hello anyone!

I’m Jakit, an full-lang lover, also full stack programmer. I can programming with above all of popular languages.

I’m just interested in this project, because of I found that Minix can not be my daily system, so that I get there.

Just OK… = =||

I hope that Redox can be a platform using for daily programming for me.

Hello there!

I’m k0pernicus, a French Rust, Ocaml and Python developer.
I contributed a few times to Redox-OS in 2015 and 2016 - I am interested in Machine Learning, Compilers and Operating Systems.
I hope that my help will be useful to the community - personaly, one of my new year’s resolution is to contribute a lot to Redox, and help to make the better OS that is possible :slight_smile:

See you!

H,

I’m Daan. I am reading through the book as a in between assignments job. It looks nice. My rust is hardly there but I like to learn new languages once in a while over the last twenty years 50% of my time went into java and related stuff.

one question: the books speaks of ‘pick the icon with Na on it’. I can not find it. The editor I can find is visual and has no vi like interface. I ran from source in qemu. Any clue for the clueless?

two question: any known installations of production machines known yet (I’m not through the book yet so kick me if it is in there)?

Good evening,

I’m drheart. I intend on using and improving Redox to work on a homebuilt cellphone. My platform is based on the Intel Compute Stick, so no ARM porting will be necessary, but I’ll need to do loads of driver work. It’s not my first foray into OS-level development, and it certainly won’t be my last.

1. Na is sodium on the periodic table which refers to this https://github.com/redox-os/sodium

Hello !

I’m Sanjay, I was wrapping my head around Linux From Scratch when I heard of this project, and have since decided to shift my learning to this project.

I’m into systems research and have experience in programming GPUs. I’ve also been learning Rust and have slowly learned to appreciate its design. I’m looking forward to contributing to concurrency in the kernel and I’d be enthusiastic to speak to the developers working in this aspect of the kernel.

Thank You !

Hi, I am José, last year I worked porting newlib and pthread-emb to a new FPGA architecture based on MIPS (University job). Part of this work consisted in modifying a kernel to provide enough functionality for newlib and pthread-emb libraries to work.

If you need help supporting pthreads.h in redox I would be glad to help.

2 Likes

That would be awesome! If you want to be part of our developer chat, send me an email at info@redox-os.org

Redox supports a subset of clone and futex, so it should be possible to port pthreads.

Hi there! I’m Clint. I met Jeremy Soller today at the SoCal Linux Expo and he got me all excited about Redox. I just submitted my first PR (to a bash script, doh). Anyway, I’ve written one thing in Rust so far, it’s called ‘rustygear’ and it’s a port of gearmand to Rust. https://github.com/SpamapS/rustygear. I hope to be able to add a bit to Redox, though I have 4 kids and a demanding job at IBM, so spare time for hacking is rare. :slight_smile:

Hi,
my name is Nicola, an italian software engineer, i’m interested in Operating System from 1996. In the past i wrote some Linux driver, in these days i develop/embedded for mobile (native or with Qt) . My interest is also in web backend (and a bit of front-end). I hope can help this project.

I’m Steven (or Jack) and I’m a developer with my ms/bs in computer science but I’ve been doing web development for the past 10 years or so and I’m really looking to get back into the nitty-gritty fun things and Redox has just re-sparked my flame. I look forward to contributing in about any capacity and am super stoked.

Hi, I’m Daylen and have been interested in Redox for some time. I really want to contribute but have been a bit intimidated since I haven’t contributed to a project before. I hope that I will be of some use!