How is Re-Dox Compared to Linux?

I’ve been using Linux for the last 9 years, and although it’s okay to use (if you’re willing to learn how to use it), and it gives you more freedom on how you can use it than Windows and Mac do, and doesn’t data-mine or have any back doors like Windows and Mac do (stock Android and ChromeOS are the only two exceptions because they’re made by Google), I still don’t care for it. Part of the problem is Linux only makes up a small percentage of the market share, and therefore, doesn’t have the support it needs for games, hardware, 3rd party software, drivers, etc. The other part is Linux itself being fragmented from a lack of standardization, and having a diverse amount of distros, software libraries, package managers, configurations, desktop environments, etc (which is why I see it as the OS equivalent of Frankenstein’s Monster). I just want an OS that’s standard, stable, open-source, made with the average computer user in mind, doesn’t abuse me like Windows and Mac do, and has printer drivers that work, audio drivers that work, and its own library of games. However, asking for that feels such a tall order because I haven’t seen any OS that does those things perfectly outside of Windows. The ONLY time I’ll ever go back to Windows is if I’m running it in a virtual machine in order to print something, to game, or watch DVDs (and I really shouldn’t have to be that desperate). Because of all of that, I’d like to know the following:

Does Redox have a single desktop environment, software library, package manager, and configuration, or are there various distros with their own?

Does Redox have support for drivers?

Does Redox have its own library of games?

How stable is Redox?

Was Redox made with the average computer in mind?

How easy is it to learn how to use Redox?

Does Redox have a mobile version? If no, is the development team working on it?

Can Redox play physical media?

(Even though I’ve appreciated the help I’ve gotten from the Linux community,) Is the Redox community known for having toxic members?

1 Like

I certainly understand the desire for a better general purpose OS, but unfortunately you might be a decade or so early here. Redox is still under heavy development, and though usuable, certainly wouldn’t be a target for average desktop users. We’ll have to see how Redox developments in the years ahead.

It may be quite usable already (haven’t tested it in about a year), but it certainly dooesn’t have any games or any sort of help or support features. There are drivers available for various hardware, but support isn’t on the level of Linux, or any other seasoned OS.

You’d probably want to be a developer to get the most out of it in it’s current state, so you can contribute fixes for the areas that still need work. I myself am keeping a keen eye on it, checking back from time to time, as I really think the “everything is a uri” is an OS abstraction worthy of the 21st century, and I hope Redox ultimately succeeds, but OS development takes a long time. Especially when it’s on a volunteer basis.

Just trying to give you an accurate expectation here. I wish I could say it was ready to go for your particular use case, but I’d say, definitely not yet.

Hopefully by the time my kids are old enough to start using computers seriously, it will be ready :smiley:

1 Like

At least now I know where it currently stands in terms of development.

I was hesitant to check out one of the BSDs (because I thought it had too many versions like Linux does), but after researching it more thoroughly, I’m going to check out OpenBSD soon. I originally was going to check out FreeBSD, but then I heard about the SJWs hijacking and ruining it for everyone else (banging head against the wall).

1 Like

While Redox being stable, its still missing many things like USB support as mentioned in the Docs, but it’s making fast process and shouldn’t need too long till it can be used on Real Hardware.

2 Likes
  1. “Redox-os is a Unix-like Operating System written in Rust, aiming to bring the innovations of Rust to a modern microkernel and full set of applications.” - reference: https://www.redox-os.org/
  2. The non-goals of Redox: We are not a Linux clone, or POSIX-compliant, nor are we crazy scientists, who wish to redesign everything. Generally, we stick to well-tested and proven correct designs. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it. This means that a large number of standard programs and libraries will be compatible with Redox. Some things that do not align with our design decisions will have to be ported. The key here is the trade off between correctness and compatibility. Ideally, you should be able achieve both, but unfortunately, you can’t always do so.” - reference: Our Goals - The Redox Operating System

Conclusions

1. So … “who knows in the near future redox-os will be the linux of smartphones for having a microkernel”
  2. So … who knows, it might be an advantage of being a good operating system for cloud services.
  3. Who can know be a futuristic desktop OS for all users.
  4. All of these are not affirmations, they are just inquiries, perceptive. There’s no way to know about the future.
  5. What I know now is… that Redox-os is “similar” with “Linux”. Said similar not equal. There are several differences from Redox-os for Linux. Type so… Redox-os is written in Rust and have microkernel written in Rust - So… Linux is an monolithic kernel and is written in C. Both are “Unix-like” - Linux and Redox-os - that’s what makes it similar.
  6. Hope to help
1 Like

I like Re-Dox as it is more secure than Linux because it uses virtualization technology to isolate processes from each other. This makes it harder for malicious programs to take control of the system or steal data.
One of the most important features of Re-Dox is its built-in encryption capability, which allows users to store their data securely by encrypting it before putting it on their hard drive or sending it over the Internet.